This is a list of quotes I find compelling. Disclaimer: I do not necessarily fully endorse all of them.
You may also be interested in a list of specifically political quotes.
- Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. And force, like fire, is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.
- George Washington
- Hell yeah, I'm confused for sure
What I thought was the New Millennium is 1984!
Mr. Orwell from the grave, adding fresh ink to the page
As the unpresident declares an endless war...
Welcome to 1984!
- Anti-Flag, Welcome to 1984
- And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say goodbye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling in terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst; the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
- None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin.
- Mark Twain
- Silence is golden, but when it threatens your freedom, it's yellow.
- Sir Edmund Burke
- First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you. Then... you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi
- We can only be kept in the cages we do not see.
- Stefan Molyneux, The Story of Your Enslavement
- No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on comin'.
- Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger, (1852-1918)
- Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? Who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?
- David, Psalms 94:16 (Bible)