This is a list of quotes I find compelling. Disclaimer: I do not necessarily fully endorse all of them.
You may also be interested in a list of specifically political quotes.
- 1. Question with Boldness. 2. Hold to the Truth. 3. Speak without fear.
- Glenn Beck
- When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it - always.
- Mahatma Gandhi
- You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.
- Abbie Hoffman, Tikkun
- An invasion of armies can be resisted; an invasion of ideas cannot be resisted.
- Victor Hugo, The History of a Crime
- The rule now is for politicians to ignore and violate men's actual rights while arguing about a whole list of rights never dreamed of in this country's founding documents.
- Leonard Peikoff, Health Care Is Not a Right
- When government accepts responsibility for people, then people no longer take responsibility for themselves.
- George Pataki
- Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero.
- Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone.
- Frederic Bastiat
- Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
- Thomas Jefferson
- If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom - go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!
- Samuel Adams