This is a list of quotes I find compelling. Disclaimer: I do not necessarily fully endorse all of them.
You may also be interested in a list of specifically political quotes.
- If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
- Though the flame of liberty may sometimes cease to shine, the coal can never expire.
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis
- Cast your whole vote; not a strip of paper merely, but your whole influence.
- Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience
- And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:13 (Bible)
- In a society where truth becomes treason, however, we are in big trouble. The truth is that our foreign spying, meddling and outright military intervention in the post-World War 2 era has made us less secure, not more, and we have lost countless lives and spent trillions of dollars for our trouble. Too often it's the official government lies that have given us endless and illegal wars resulting in hundreds of thousands of deaths and casualties.
- Ron Paul, Where Truth Becomes Treason
- An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained.
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
- God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed.
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to William S. Smith
- If duties are too high, they lessen the consumption; the collection is eluded; and the product to the treasury is not so great as when they are confined within proper and moderate bounds.
- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist #21
- It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
- Darrin Weinberg