This is a list of quotes I find compelling. Disclaimer: I do not necessarily fully endorse all of them.
You may also be interested in a list of specifically political quotes.
- The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken, Minority Report: H.L. Mencken’s Notebooks
- Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
- Justice Louis Brandeis, Olmstead v. United States
- Most Americans have no real understanding of the operation of the international money lenders. The accounts of the Federal Reserve System have never been audited. It operates outside the control of Congress and through its Board of Governors manipulates the credit of the United States.
- Sen. Barry Goldwater, With No Apologies
- If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine, The Crisis
- Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.
- G. K. Chesterton
- So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
- Isaiah, Isaiah 41:10 (Bible)
- Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
- Paul, Ephesians 5:11 (Bible)
- Truth is treason in the empire of lies.
- Ron Paul, The Revolution: A Manifesto
- I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest expression every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all the battlefield besides, is mere flight and disgrace, if he flinches at that point.
- Elizabeth Rundle Charles, Martin Luther, The Chronicles of the Schoenberg Cotta Family