This is a list of quotes I find compelling. Disclaimer: I do not necessarily fully endorse all of them.
You may also be interested in a list of specifically political quotes.
- I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.
- E.B. White
- Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.
- John Adams
- Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- John, John 15:13 (Bible)
- Tyranny like hell is not easily conquered yet we have this consolation with us, the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value.
- Thomas Paine
- I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way.
- John Paul Jones, 1778
- It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
- James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 62
- There, I guess King George will be able to read that.
- John Hancock, July 4, 1776
- I like a little rebellion now and then.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787
- Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel.
- Patrick Henry, 1778
- Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
- Patrick Henry, 1775