This is a list of quotes I find compelling. Disclaimer: I do not necessarily fully endorse all of them.
You may also be interested in a list of specifically political quotes.
- It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there is service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be master.
- Ayn Rand, For the New Intellectual
- The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson
- Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence.
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Tom C. Clark, Mapp vs. Ohio
- Let the people decide through the marketplace mechanism what they wish to see and hear. Why is there this national obsession to tamper with this box of transistors and tubes when we don't do the same for Time magazine?
- Mark Fowler, FCC Chairman
- Since when is 'public safety' the root password to the Constitution?
- C. D. Tavares
- If you think of yourselves as helpless and ineffectual, it is certain that you will create a despotic government to be your master. The wise despot, therefore, maintains among his subjects a popular sense that they are helpless and ineffectual.
- Frank Herbert, The Dosadi Experiment
- When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.
- James Dale Davidson
- People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force.
- L. Neil Smith, The Probability Broach
- One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H.L. Mencken